Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What's so Fun About Tribal Jewelry?

Olami Cuffs from Afghanistan


You mean apart from wearing it and feeling like you're connected to a tradition much much older than yourself? Well, for me the most fun is hunting for those old authentic well-loved pieces. The ones that are worn smooth from being touched many times, either because they are a much-loved family treasure, handed down from mother to daughter, or rubbed for protection against evil forces or simply for luck. The ones that are well made, well designed and lovely both to look at and to wear. The ones that have meaning in every detail. There is nothing quite like the feel of old tribal silvery jewelry under your fingers.

My love affair with tribal jewelry began when I was still pretty new to belly dance. I danced with a troupe that was mostly cabaret style ('sparkly girls' for those who are unfamiliar with the term) instead of tribal. But I began to really love this jewelry when we danced at ren faires and I was free to wear tribal jewelry and incorporate those elements into my costuming. I loved hunting down just the right pieces and making something very special out of them.

So as I continued to dance I continued to look for these pieces everywhere I went. Thrift stores, flea markets, estate sales, around town, on vacation - wherever my destination was. I loved finding these beautiful items so much that my house soon abounded with them and it was time to do something about it. That's how The Red Camel was born.

Now I still get to shop for that perfect piece of tribal jewelry. Anywhere. Everywhere! And I still have a spare bedroom. Although I must confess that I do keep some of the very best pieces for myself. But I can't keep it all and you may be the next lucky benefactor of my delight in rooting these pieces out of their secretive hiding spaces.

See what I've found here: www.redcamel.net

No comments:

Post a Comment